It may be almost Halloween, but here in Southern California, it’s still tank top weather. I’m not sipping any pumpkin spice lattes these days, I’m drinking refreshingly iced beverages.
And what better way to improve a refreshing glass of lemonade than to give it a boost of anxiety and headache reducing properties?
Pure lavender oil is an incredible essential oil to use for your own health and wellness. It’s among the gentlest of essential oils, but also one of the most powerful, making it a favorite of households for the healing properties and uses of lavender essential oil. Lavender oil has a chemically complex structure with over 150 active constituents, which explains its effectiveness at helping with a lot of health ailments. Lavender oil possesses amazing anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antispasmodic, analgesic, detoxifier, hypotensive, and sedative properties.
Florida researchers have found that lavender oil benefits include reducing anxiety and lowering pulse rates in nursing students taking stressful tests. And in hospital settings, lavender aromatherapy has been demonstrated to decrease pre-surgery distress and to be more relaxing than massage or merely resting.(1)
Lavender essential oil has medicinal properties as well. It has been shown to reduce depression, improve insomnia and ease labor pains. And anecdotal evidence suggests that lavender oil benefits those with headaches, hangovers, sinus congestion and pain relief.
DIY Lavender Lemonade with Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 cup honey (local organic is best)
- 12 cups water
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- Juice of 6 lemons
- Lavender sprigs for garnish
Mix all ingredients together and chill. Add more water or honey if needed.
Other ways you can use Lavender Oil for Anxiety and Headaches
- Mix 5 to 6 drops of Lavender essential oil to your bath water if you have dry skin.
- Diffuse 10 to 12 drops of Lavender into the air during your workday for natural stress relief.
- Add 2 drops of Lavender per ounce of your favorite lightly scented, unrefined organic oil (like almond oil or olive oil) for a body oil with all the benefits of lavender for improving your skin, relaxing your mind, warding off insects or helping you sleep.
* adapted from collective-evolution.com
** only use pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils. Know the source.